Translation of Visio Files
If you received a VSD file, ask your client to save it as XML Drawing (*.vdx).. As of Wordfast Pro v. 3.2, Visio (VDX) files can be translated directly just as any other supported file format without the need to write custom conversion rules. Use File menu > Open to open the file. When you finish translation, use File menu > Save Translated File to get the target file in the same *.vdx format.
Versions of Wordfast Pro before 3.2 used to require conversion rules to open VDX files.
- To be able to open a VDX file in older versions of Wordfast Pro, you need to create a new filter. Download the Visio Conversion Rules (*.properties) file.
- To add the new filter, open Wordfast Pro Edit menu.
- Select Preferences > Formats > New.
- Select Text-based Filter.
- Type any name for the new filter.
- Change the Extension to *.vdx
- Click the browse [...] button to locate the Conversion Rules (*.properties) file.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Now, you should be able to open any VDX file for translation in Wordfast Pro.
- Open Wordfast Pro File menu.
- Select Open file. (You can open any number of Visio files with the same filter.) Select the Visio file you want to open.
- Complete the translation of your TXML file, as usual.
- To generate the final translated Visio (*.vdx) file, open Wordfast Pro File menu and select Save Translated File.
Download the Visio conversion rules Visio.properties
- Read this article to learn how to save VSD files as VDX files
- If you want to preview Visio files and you do NOT have MS Visio, you can download Visio Viewer for FREE.
- Read this article to learn how to open VDX files in MS Visio.
- This vidoe illustrates the process of translating Visio files in older versions of Wordfast Pro.