Bilingual Revision in Microsoft Word
When working with someone who does not use Wordfast Pro, you can export the source text and its translation from the Wordfast bilingual TXLF file into a Microsoft Word document, in a two-column table. After the person revises the translation, you can import their revisions back to the TXLF file, update the translation memory, and generate the final translated file.
Here are the basic steps for a workflow involving bilingual revision in MS-Word:
- Click on the Quick Tools icon, then go to the Bilingual Export tab.
- Add the TXLF file(s) by dragging and dropping them from wherever they are saved on your computer or by clicking on the Add Files or Add Folders icons.
- Optionally, add glossaries as well. Terms will also be exported and appear as comments.
- Make sure the export type is set to Bilingual Review Export.
- Tick the Exclude the notes column option.
- Optionally enable tracked changes on the exported file or export all TXLF files as one bilingual file (if working with more than one file).
- Choose a location to save the bilingual file(s) to by clicking on Browse… at the bottom right.
- Click on the Bilingual Export icon.
You will now have one or more bilingual review documents in MS Word that you can send to someone for revision. Make sure they carefully read the instructions at the top of the document. Once they have finished revising the document(s) and send them back to you, do the following to import their revisions back into your TXLF file(s):
- Click on the Quick Tools icon, then go to the Bilingual Import tab.
- Add the bilingual review document(s) by dragging and dropping them from wherever they are saved on your computer or by clicking on the Add Files or Add Folders icons.
- Add the original TXLF files by dragging and dropping them from wherever they are saved on your computer or by clicking on the Add Files or Add Folders icons.
- Click on the Bilingual Import icon.
You can now update your translation memory and generate target file(s) from the TXLF file(s) via the Cleanup feature in Quick Tools or in the Current Project view.