Exchanging TMs with Non-Wordfast Users
Opening a TMX TM in Wordfast Pro
Make sure you create a project in Wordfast Pro with the same language codes as those of the TMX TM. To open the TM:
- Open the Translation Memory menu.
- Select New/Select TM.
- Click the ADD TM button (or "Open" in older versions).
- Click the Browse button
- Select Translation Memory eXchange from the dropdown menu.
- Locate the TMX and click Open.
- Make sure that your Source and Target locales selected are the same as the TMX
- Click OK.
Note: This will generate a translation memory in the TXT format. So, if you need to send back the TM to your client, you need to Export the TM back into TMX.
Not able to open a TMX Translation Memory? Find out a solution here.
Exporting a TMX TM from Wordfast Pro
To export a Translation Memory from Wordfast Pro into the TMX format:
- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Ctrl+Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file, updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- Form the *Local TM* dropdown menu, select the TM you want to export.
- From the dropdown menu *Export Type*, select *Translation Memory eXchange Format*
- Browse to select the preferred location and name.
Dealing with Trados clients
To use a TM from Trados 2007 (or earlier versions) in Wordfast, ask your client Export it first into TMX (Trados Workbench > File > Export > TMX 1.4).
When your finish you translation, Export our TM from Wordfast Pro. You client client can *Import* this TMX translation memory into a Trados translation memory as long as both TMs have the same language variants. So you have to make sure which language variants are used in the Trados TM. If they are different from the one in your WFP TM, create a new WF TM with the correct language locales and clean up your TXML file(s) against it (before exporting it into the TMX format).